I don’t know what I expected from a joint named after mid-‘80s sitcom Punky Brewster, but it definitely didn’t involve a Jamaican patois. In fact, THURZ‘s new single has nothing to do with the show or its precocious grade-schooler protagonist, aside from the “Punky, Punky…” vocal sample that loops throughout the hook. It does, however, boast some characteristically high-quality verses from the SoCal mainstay, one of which (as I alluded to above) he delivers in a fast-paced dancehall style. His aggressive bars come backed by the slow-rolling percussion and street-ready keyboard loops of Booth-approved duo Christian Rich. Craving more? Then stay tuned; Blood on the Canvas has yet to be assigned a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 10/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.