I don’t know what I expected from a joint named after mid-‘80s sitcom Punky Brewster, but it definitely didn’t involve a Jamaican patois. In fact, THURZ‘s new single has nothing to do with the show or its precocious grade-schooler protagonist, aside from the “Punky, Punky…” vocal sample that loops throughout the hook. It does, however, boast some characteristically high-quality verses from the SoCal mainstay, one of which (as I alluded to above) he delivers in a fast-paced dancehall style. His aggressive bars come backed by the slow-rolling percussion and street-ready keyboard loops of Booth-approved duo Christian Rich. Craving more? Then stay tuned; Blood on the Canvas has yet to be assigned a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 10/7/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.