First U-N-I break up, now everyday I wake up, somebody got a problem with Nathan S. Yes, it’s unfortunately true, the Los Angeles duo is, well, no longer a duo. In the grand tradition of The Beatles, ATCQ and Danity Kane (ok, maybe not that last one) YO and Thurz have decided to go their separate ways and focus on solo work. That’s the bad news, but the good news is that Thurz’ solo work is pretty damn good. Like previous features Rodney King and Los Angeles, new release Prayer is a deeply soulful and inspired record, although one that’s far more personal than political. Speaking of personal, producer Aaron Harris delivers a gospel-influenced beat that could have easy come out of the summer of ’69, a mood enhanced by Cheryl Johnson’s vocals. But, of course, it’s Thurz’ lyrics that will have listeners hitting rewind, if only to hear his take on U-N-I’s split. Still, there’s no use in crying over split rap groups, especially when a project like Thurz’ L.A. Riots is on the horizon (August). Instead let’s be grateful for the dopeness that was, and the dopeness to come.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.