First U-N-I break up, now everyday I wake up, somebody got a problem with Nathan S. Yes, it’s unfortunately true, the Los Angeles duo is, well, no longer a duo. In the grand tradition of The Beatles, ATCQ and Danity Kane (ok, maybe not that last one) YO and Thurz have decided to go their separate ways and focus on solo work. That’s the bad news, but the good news is that Thurz’ solo work is pretty damn good. Like previous features Rodney King and Los Angeles, new release Prayer is a deeply soulful and inspired record, although one that’s far more personal than political. Speaking of personal, producer Aaron Harris delivers a gospel-influenced beat that could have easy come out of the summer of ’69, a mood enhanced by Cheryl Johnson’s vocals. But, of course, it’s Thurz’ lyrics that will have listeners hitting rewind, if only to hear his take on U-N-I’s split. Still, there’s no use in crying over split rap groups, especially when a project like Thurz’ L.A. Riots is on the horizon (August). Instead let’s be grateful for the dopeness that was, and the dopeness to come.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.