First U-N-I break up, now everyday I wake up, somebody got a problem with Nathan S. Yes, it’s unfortunately true, the Los Angeles duo is, well, no longer a duo. In the grand tradition of The Beatles, ATCQ and Danity Kane (ok, maybe not that last one) YO and Thurz have decided to go their separate ways and focus on solo work. That’s the bad news, but the good news is that Thurz’ solo work is pretty damn good. Like previous features Rodney King and Los Angeles, new release Prayer is a deeply soulful and inspired record, although one that’s far more personal than political. Speaking of personal, producer Aaron Harris delivers a gospel-influenced beat that could have easy come out of the summer of ’69, a mood enhanced by Cheryl Johnson’s vocals. But, of course, it’s Thurz’ lyrics that will have listeners hitting rewind, if only to hear his take on U-N-I’s split. Still, there’s no use in crying over split rap groups, especially when a project like Thurz’ L.A. Riots is on the horizon (August). Instead let’s be grateful for the dopeness that was, and the dopeness to come.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.