The word “riot” typically evokes images of angry mobs storming through the streets but, according to the Dictionary.com definition (“a noisy, violent public disorder caused by a group or crowd of persons, as by a crowd protesting against another group, a government policy, etc…”), a particularly raucous musical performance can fit the bill—all that’s needed is something to riot against. On the latest single off his forthcoming mixtape, West Coast emcee THURZ invites listeners to join him in slinging a Molotov Cocktail or two at the forces that curtail freedom of thought in the hip-hop game. Producer Aaron Harris provides a fitting backdrop for a musical revolution, mixing fuzzed-out guitar and old-school cuts as the emcee compares his fight for artistic liberation with the infamous campaigns of various literal arsonists (“John Orr, Paul Keller, Raymond Lee in the physical…”). Does this bracing cut leave you amped and ready to wreak some havoc? L.A. Riot doesn’t drop till August 9, but in the meantime you can peep this cut’s official video on DJBoothTV. In addition, fans will be able to catch Thurz rocking the DJBooth.net Stage at the Atlanta Indie Fest on July 30.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.