One of the first few questions asked of any emcee is, “Where are you from?” As we all know, many a rapper has become an overnight celeb thanks to a hometown anthem (I’m looking at you Wiz Khalifa). Fresh off the release of the darkly poignant Rodney King, U-N-I representative Thurz debuts the second release off his upcoming album, L.A Riot, in the form of the aptly-titled Los Angeles, an ode to his hometown and the best city that I’ve never actually stepped foot in (soon though…soon). Produced by frequent collaborator Ro BLVD, Los Angeles contains a funky sample and mellow drums over which Thurz discusses the full range of the L.A. experiences, from the highest of the highs to the lowest of the lows. The most interesting part of the song, though, has to be the chorus, comprised of several Angelenos discussing what the city means to each of them. So whether you pronounce your favorite team as the Dodgers or “Los Doyers,” you’ll be glad to know that Thurz is down to rep for his (and your) favorite left coast city. L.A. Riot drops in July, go ahead and mark your calendars now.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 04/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.