One of the first few questions asked of any emcee is, “Where are you from?” As we all know, many a rapper has become an overnight celeb thanks to a hometown anthem (I’m looking at you Wiz Khalifa). Fresh off the release of the darkly poignant Rodney King, U-N-I representative Thurz debuts the second release off his upcoming album, L.A Riot, in the form of the aptly-titled Los Angeles, an ode to his hometown and the best city that I’ve never actually stepped foot in (soon though…soon). Produced by frequent collaborator Ro BLVD, Los Angeles contains a funky sample and mellow drums over which Thurz discusses the full range of the L.A. experiences, from the highest of the highs to the lowest of the lows. The most interesting part of the song, though, has to be the chorus, comprised of several Angelenos discussing what the city means to each of them. So whether you pronounce your favorite team as the Dodgers or “Los Doyers,” you’ll be glad to know that Thurz is down to rep for his (and your) favorite left coast city. L.A. Riot drops in July, go ahead and mark your calendars now.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 04/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)