One of the first few questions asked of any emcee is, “Where are you from?” As we all know, many a rapper has become an overnight celeb thanks to a hometown anthem (I’m looking at you Wiz Khalifa). Fresh off the release of the darkly poignant Rodney King, U-N-I representative Thurz debuts the second release off his upcoming album, L.A Riot, in the form of the aptly-titled Los Angeles, an ode to his hometown and the best city that I’ve never actually stepped foot in (soon though…soon). Produced by frequent collaborator Ro BLVD, Los Angeles contains a funky sample and mellow drums over which Thurz discusses the full range of the L.A. experiences, from the highest of the highs to the lowest of the lows. The most interesting part of the song, though, has to be the chorus, comprised of several Angelenos discussing what the city means to each of them. So whether you pronounce your favorite team as the Dodgers or “Los Doyers,” you’ll be glad to know that Thurz is down to rep for his (and your) favorite left coast city. L.A. Riot drops in July, go ahead and mark your calendars now.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 04/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rodney King" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.