Grapevine right, clap, grapevine left, clap—sorry, I was just brushing up on my electric slide, which, if the 69 Boyz’ Thrill Da Playa is to be believed, is about to come back in style in a big way. On the newly-released Slide, the Panhandle State veteran calls listeners of all ages, sizes, regions, and sun signs out onto the floor to party like it’s 1989 (The Electric was released in ‘76, but that’s when it really caught on). Though Thrill and his HB Fraternity bring plenty of energy, this kind of cut lives or dies on the strength of its beat—luckily, V. Bryant and Mr. Bright‘s upbeat, sampled instrumental oozes retro appeal, playing like a disco throwback lightly seasoned with the Miami Bass sound the 69 Boyz rode to success on ‘94’s Tootsee Roll. Slide‘s got body-moving potential to spare, but can it catch on with the Crank That crowd? You be the judge. Thrill Da Playa’s School Dayz LP has yet to receive a solid release date, but fans can grab a copy of his recently-released prelude mixtape, School Dayz: Street Leak now.
Written by richard on 04/22/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)