Grapevine right, clap, grapevine left, clap—sorry, I was just brushing up on my electric slide, which, if the 69 Boyz’ Thrill Da Playa is to be believed, is about to come back in style in a big way. On the newly-released Slide, the Panhandle State veteran calls listeners of all ages, sizes, regions, and sun signs out onto the floor to party like it’s 1989 (The Electric was released in ‘76, but that’s when it really caught on). Though Thrill and his HB Fraternity bring plenty of energy, this kind of cut lives or dies on the strength of its beat—luckily, V. Bryant and Mr. Bright‘s upbeat, sampled instrumental oozes retro appeal, playing like a disco throwback lightly seasoned with the Miami Bass sound the 69 Boyz rode to success on ‘94’s Tootsee Roll. Slide‘s got body-moving potential to spare, but can it catch on with the Crank That crowd? You be the judge. Thrill Da Playa’s School Dayz LP has yet to receive a solid release date, but fans can grab a copy of his recently-released prelude mixtape, School Dayz: Street Leak now.
Written by richard on 04/22/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.