Grapevine right, clap, grapevine left, clap—sorry, I was just brushing up on my electric slide, which, if the 69 Boyz’ Thrill Da Playa is to be believed, is about to come back in style in a big way. On the newly-released Slide, the Panhandle State veteran calls listeners of all ages, sizes, regions, and sun signs out onto the floor to party like it’s 1989 (The Electric was released in ‘76, but that’s when it really caught on). Though Thrill and his HB Fraternity bring plenty of energy, this kind of cut lives or dies on the strength of its beat—luckily, V. Bryant and Mr. Bright‘s upbeat, sampled instrumental oozes retro appeal, playing like a disco throwback lightly seasoned with the Miami Bass sound the 69 Boyz rode to success on ‘94’s Tootsee Roll. Slide‘s got body-moving potential to spare, but can it catch on with the Crank That crowd? You be the judge. Thrill Da Playa’s School Dayz LP has yet to receive a solid release date, but fans can grab a copy of his recently-released prelude mixtape, School Dayz: Street Leak now.
Written by richard on 04/22/09
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.