As much as I love world premieres, there’s one tiny downside to having a record before everyone else: when I’m unsure how to sum a cut up in a neat paragraph, there’s no Googling for second opinions. Usually, it’s not a problem, but People of the Sun, the final leak off Miami crew Think Tank‘s forthcoming mixtape, is one tough nut to crack. Guest emcee Wrekonize kicks his opener off with the lines “Good morning, I remember back in 2001, when the planet wasn’t run by the fiberoptic young…,” and things only get stranger from there – backed by Llamabeats’ deceptively mellow beat, the ¡MAYDAY! member hooks up with Think Tank vocalists Spit and Parable to detail a dark future reminiscent of The Matrix... except there’s no Matrix. And everyone‘s a robot… I think? Am I overanalyzing? Probably – but, whether you attempt to fully untangle the political commentary in the collaborators’ dystopian vision, or just sit back and soak in the creativity, it’s a worthy listen. Perhaps we can expect some answers on Nov. 2, when their Booth-sponsored Mashed Potatoes street album hits our mixtape page. Then again, maybe not.
Written by richard on 10/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gimme Your Money" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.