UK singer-songwriter Jack Peñate’s latest single, Pull My Heart Away, is hardly obvious material for a hip-hop remix but, as those who tuned in for Theophilus London‘s previous Booth features are well aware, the Brooklyn emcees all about taking the road less traveled. On his latest feature, London and beatsmith Jamie XX join forces to flip the Cure-esque original track into an alternative-rap banger as steamy and unconventional as anything we’ve heard from the emcee to date. London turns in an impressive performance on the mic, delivering his vivid rhymes more forcefully than on recently-featured cut Enjoy the Sun, but it’s Jamie’s subterranean-sounding blend of booming synth-bass, echoing percussion and muffled vocal samples that make this track a truly captivating – and somewhat unsettling – listen. This remix isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can find more from Theophilus London on This Charming Mixtape, released in January and available now online.
Listen to More: Theophilus London Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.