UK singer-songwriter Jack Peñate’s latest single, Pull My Heart Away, is hardly obvious material for a hip-hop remix but, as those who tuned in for Theophilus London‘s previous Booth features are well aware, the Brooklyn emcees all about taking the road less traveled. On his latest feature, London and beatsmith Jamie XX join forces to flip the Cure-esque original track into an alternative-rap banger as steamy and unconventional as anything we’ve heard from the emcee to date. London turns in an impressive performance on the mic, delivering his vivid rhymes more forcefully than on recently-featured cut Enjoy the Sun, but it’s Jamie’s subterranean-sounding blend of booming synth-bass, echoing percussion and muffled vocal samples that make this track a truly captivating – and somewhat unsettling – listen. This remix isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can find more from Theophilus London on This Charming Mixtape, released in January and available now online.
Written by richard on 10/19/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.