UK singer-songwriter Jack Peñate’s latest single, Pull My Heart Away, is hardly obvious material for a hip-hop remix but, as those who tuned in for Theophilus London‘s previous Booth features are well aware, the Brooklyn emcees all about taking the road less traveled. On his latest feature, London and beatsmith Jamie XX join forces to flip the Cure-esque original track into an alternative-rap banger as steamy and unconventional as anything we’ve heard from the emcee to date. London turns in an impressive performance on the mic, delivering his vivid rhymes more forcefully than on recently-featured cut Enjoy the Sun, but it’s Jamie’s subterranean-sounding blend of booming synth-bass, echoing percussion and muffled vocal samples that make this track a truly captivating – and somewhat unsettling – listen. This remix isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can find more from Theophilus London on This Charming Mixtape, released in January and available now online.
Listen to More: Theophilus London
Written by richard on 10/19/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.