UK singer-songwriter Jack Peñate’s latest single, Pull My Heart Away, is hardly obvious material for a hip-hop remix but, as those who tuned in for Theophilus London‘s previous Booth features are well aware, the Brooklyn emcees all about taking the road less traveled. On his latest feature, London and beatsmith Jamie XX join forces to flip the Cure-esque original track into an alternative-rap banger as steamy and unconventional as anything we’ve heard from the emcee to date. London turns in an impressive performance on the mic, delivering his vivid rhymes more forcefully than on recently-featured cut Enjoy the Sun, but it’s Jamie’s subterranean-sounding blend of booming synth-bass, echoing percussion and muffled vocal samples that make this track a truly captivating – and somewhat unsettling – listen. This remix isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can find more from Theophilus London on This Charming Mixtape, released in January and available now online.
Listen to More: Theophilus London
Written by richard on 10/19/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.