Way back in 2002, veteran R&B songstress Tweet scored a hit with risque, Missy Elliot-cowritten single Oops (Oh My) (a song that, though the singer denied it was about female masturbation, didn’t really seem like it could be about anything else). While the track wasn’t exactly normal-sounding to begin with (thanks to Timbo‘s hypnotic vocal samples), the always avant-garde Theophilus London has managed to cook up a cover version that substantially ups the weirdness quotient. Over Hudson Mohawke‘s alternately sparse and chaotic, synth-driven boardwork, London offers a slightly recontextualized take on the original lyrics, delivering his narrative in a sultry sung-rapped vocal style. Has the NYC rapper succeeded once again in straddling that fine line between sexy and just-plain-strange? I’ll let Booth readers be the jury. If you’re digging it, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on Theo’s I Want You street album, due out on the 28th.
Listen to More: Theophilus London
Written by richard on 04/15/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.