Way back in 2002, veteran R&B songstress Tweet scored a hit with risque, Missy Elliot-cowritten single Oops (Oh My) (a song that, though the singer denied it was about female masturbation, didn’t really seem like it could be about anything else). While the track wasn’t exactly normal-sounding to begin with (thanks to Timbo‘s hypnotic vocal samples), the always avant-garde Theophilus London has managed to cook up a cover version that substantially ups the weirdness quotient. Over Hudson Mohawke‘s alternately sparse and chaotic, synth-driven boardwork, London offers a slightly recontextualized take on the original lyrics, delivering his narrative in a sultry sung-rapped vocal style. Has the NYC rapper succeeded once again in straddling that fine line between sexy and just-plain-strange? I’ll let Booth readers be the jury. If you’re digging it, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on Theo’s I Want You street album, due out on the 28th.
Listen to More: Theophilus London
Written by richard on 04/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.