Way back in 2002, veteran R&B songstress Tweet scored a hit with risque, Missy Elliot-cowritten single Oops (Oh My) (a song that, though the singer denied it was about female masturbation, didn’t really seem like it could be about anything else). While the track wasn’t exactly normal-sounding to begin with (thanks to Timbo‘s hypnotic vocal samples), the always avant-garde Theophilus London has managed to cook up a cover version that substantially ups the weirdness quotient. Over Hudson Mohawke‘s alternately sparse and chaotic, synth-driven boardwork, London offers a slightly recontextualized take on the original lyrics, delivering his narrative in a sultry sung-rapped vocal style. Has the NYC rapper succeeded once again in straddling that fine line between sexy and just-plain-strange? I’ll let Booth readers be the jury. If you’re digging it, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on Theo’s I Want You street album, due out on the 28th.
Written by richard on 04/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Ludacris ft. Miguel - Good Lovin’
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.