Way back in 2002, veteran R&B songstress Tweet scored a hit with risque, Missy Elliot-cowritten single Oops (Oh My) (a song that, though the singer denied it was about female masturbation, didn’t really seem like it could be about anything else). While the track wasn’t exactly normal-sounding to begin with (thanks to Timbo‘s hypnotic vocal samples), the always avant-garde Theophilus London has managed to cook up a cover version that substantially ups the weirdness quotient. Over Hudson Mohawke‘s alternately sparse and chaotic, synth-driven boardwork, London offers a slightly recontextualized take on the original lyrics, delivering his narrative in a sultry sung-rapped vocal style. Has the NYC rapper succeeded once again in straddling that fine line between sexy and just-plain-strange? I’ll let Booth readers be the jury. If you’re digging it, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on Theo’s I Want You street album, due out on the 28th.
Listen to More: Theophilus London
Written by richard on 04/15/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)