No doubt about it: when it comes to busting genre boundaries, Theophilus London is a breed apart. Having drawn extensively from soul, hip-hop, funk, electro and indie thus far in his burgeoning career (more than many manage in an entire career), the Brooklyn repper expands his sound yet further on the latest single off his freshman set. I Stand Alone finds Jokke (of The Teddybears) introducing pop-rock/New Wave elements behind the boards, layering keyboard arpeggios and overdriven guitar over a driving backbeat as Theophilus vents his anguish regarding… well, I’m not entirely certain. Though his abstract lyrics, riddled with off-kilter imagery (“The rain is phenomenal, the way that it falls / Slam it down like a domino and lay in the moss.”) and paradoxical pronouncements (“If this war doesn’t end, there’s nothing left to fight.”), are as ambiguous it gets, the overall package is fresh, moody and energizing. Craving more eclectic bangers? Then be sure to cop Theophilus London’s debut studio album, Timez Are Weird These Days, when it drops July 19, via Warner Bros.
Written by richard on 07/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.