Fain as many rappers might be to admit it, the Beatles were right: money can’t buy you love. Lease, sure—but there’s no gilded cage that can’t be escaped. Nor will romantic vacations, good looks, style, talent and charm necessarily do the trick, as evidenced by the latest single off Theophilus London‘s forthcoming EP. On Golden the Brooklyn electro-pop phenom describes how his dreams of high-rolling romance were crushed when the girl he’d fallen for revealed that she wasn’t quite what she’d seemed. Twin Shadow channels London’s signature sound on the production tip, layering quavering neo-New Wave synths over a pulsing rhythm section as the artist soulfully struggles to pick up the pieces of his broken heart, finally admitting “I can’t live without you.” Catchy, energizing and eminently relatable—who among us hasn’t fallen victim to the whims of a capricious shawty or dude?—this is just one of many quality cuts to be found on the yet-unscheduled Lovers Island II: Rose Island. In the meantime, fans of live music can catch Theophilus London on his currently-running Tour De Roses.
Written by richard on 06/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.