Fain as many rappers might be to admit it, the Beatles were right: money can’t buy you love. Lease, sure—but there’s no gilded cage that can’t be escaped. Nor will romantic vacations, good looks, style, talent and charm necessarily do the trick, as evidenced by the latest single off Theophilus London‘s forthcoming EP. On Golden the Brooklyn electro-pop phenom describes how his dreams of high-rolling romance were crushed when the girl he’d fallen for revealed that she wasn’t quite what she’d seemed. Twin Shadow channels London’s signature sound on the production tip, layering quavering neo-New Wave synths over a pulsing rhythm section as the artist soulfully struggles to pick up the pieces of his broken heart, finally admitting “I can’t live without you.” Catchy, energizing and eminently relatable—who among us hasn’t fallen victim to the whims of a capricious shawty or dude?—this is just one of many quality cuts to be found on the yet-unscheduled Lovers Island II: Rose Island. In the meantime, fans of live music can catch Theophilus London on his currently-running Tour De Roses.
Written by richard on 06/4/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)