Fain as many rappers might be to admit it, the Beatles were right: money can’t buy you love. Lease, sure—but there’s no gilded cage that can’t be escaped. Nor will romantic vacations, good looks, style, talent and charm necessarily do the trick, as evidenced by the latest single off Theophilus London‘s forthcoming EP. On Golden the Brooklyn electro-pop phenom describes how his dreams of high-rolling romance were crushed when the girl he’d fallen for revealed that she wasn’t quite what she’d seemed. Twin Shadow channels London’s signature sound on the production tip, layering quavering neo-New Wave synths over a pulsing rhythm section as the artist soulfully struggles to pick up the pieces of his broken heart, finally admitting “I can’t live without you.” Catchy, energizing and eminently relatable—who among us hasn’t fallen victim to the whims of a capricious shawty or dude?—this is just one of many quality cuts to be found on the yet-unscheduled Lovers Island II: Rose Island. In the meantime, fans of live music can catch Theophilus London on his currently-running Tour De Roses.
Written by richard on 06/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.