While it’s traditional for hip-hop artists to value money over (ahem) women, alt-rap sensation and inveterate ladies’ man Theophilus London has always made romance priority numero uno. Which isn’t to say that he’s immune to the allure of high-priced goods. Quite the contrary—when it comes to copping that classy sh*t that’ll make women swoon, he’s a real Big Spender. The latest single off his forthcoming sophomore set finds London departing from his usual electro-pop/funk grooves to create a flossed-out hip-hop record with a retro twist. DJ Carnage takes inspiration from the jazz standard of the same title, slicing and dicing Welsh singer Shirley Bassey’s brassy rendition into a swanky backdrop for a London’s haute couture name-drops. In addition to more predictable purchases—Givenchy, Lanvin, et cetera…—the artist swings by the Land Down Under to pick up “a kangaroo in a leather jacket.” Swag… I think? A$AP Rocky guests on the middle, spitting about his penchant for Hugo Boss, Rolex and Hublot. So, is this foray into luxury rap a good look for Theophilus London? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, mark your calendar for the May 15, release of Lover’s Holiday II: Rose Island.
Written by richard on 04/16/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.