While it’s traditional for hip-hop artists to value money over (ahem) women, alt-rap sensation and inveterate ladies’ man Theophilus London has always made romance priority numero uno. Which isn’t to say that he’s immune to the allure of high-priced goods. Quite the contrary—when it comes to copping that classy sh*t that’ll make women swoon, he’s a real Big Spender. The latest single off his forthcoming sophomore set finds London departing from his usual electro-pop/funk grooves to create a flossed-out hip-hop record with a retro twist. DJ Carnage takes inspiration from the jazz standard of the same title, slicing and dicing Welsh singer Shirley Bassey’s brassy rendition into a swanky backdrop for a London’s haute couture name-drops. In addition to more predictable purchases—Givenchy, Lanvin, et cetera…—the artist swings by the Land Down Under to pick up “a kangaroo in a leather jacket.” Swag… I think? A$AP Rocky guests on the middle, spitting about his penchant for Hugo Boss, Rolex and Hublot. So, is this foray into luxury rap a good look for Theophilus London? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, mark your calendar for the May 15, release of Lover’s Holiday II: Rose Island.
Written by richard on 04/16/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)