For many artists, the musical grind and the fame that (sometimes) results are endless sources of stress. Theo Martins is a different breed. If the dreamy feel of his latest feature is any indication, he finds the music game about as relaxing as a nice, steamy bubblebath… on Valium (kids, don’t try that one at home). You Don’t See finds the Rhode Island-based boat shoe aficionado lifting the veil to give listeners a glimpse of what makes him tick, describing his drive to succeed in a calm, almost murmured flow as beatsmith Devon Who blends simmering synths, powerful bass and headphone-worthy electronic accents. Contributing a characteristically breathy hook, Jesse Boykins III once again asserts his dominance of the “singer who appears on narcotically chill cuts with rappers whose names start with Theo” niche. This track is definitely a change of pace from the headliner’s previous features, but is this hazy style a good look for Theo Martins? If you’re digging it, be sure to check out You Can’t Do That On TV: The Prequel when it drops in January 2010, as well as his forthcoming EP with Hall of Justus, due out February 2.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sweetest Language" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.