For many artists, the musical grind and the fame that (sometimes) results are endless sources of stress. Theo Martins is a different breed. If the dreamy feel of his latest feature is any indication, he finds the music game about as relaxing as a nice, steamy bubblebath… on Valium (kids, don’t try that one at home). You Don’t See finds the Rhode Island-based boat shoe aficionado lifting the veil to give listeners a glimpse of what makes him tick, describing his drive to succeed in a calm, almost murmured flow as beatsmith Devon Who blends simmering synths, powerful bass and headphone-worthy electronic accents. Contributing a characteristically breathy hook, Jesse Boykins III once again asserts his dominance of the “singer who appears on narcotically chill cuts with rappers whose names start with Theo” niche. This track is definitely a change of pace from the headliner’s previous features, but is this hazy style a good look for Theo Martins? If you’re digging it, be sure to check out You Can’t Do That On TV: The Prequel when it drops in January 2010, as well as his forthcoming EP with Hall of Justus, due out February 2.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sweetest Language" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.