While I never doubted Theophilus London was destined for big things, I have to admit that I wasn’t able to imagine what a smash-hit single by the boundary-pushing Brooklynite might sound like… until now. After hearing the latest selection off his major-label debut, I’m exponentially more confident in his ability to conquer the mainstream without losing his creative edge. A dreamy cut with a sound ripped straight from the ‘80s airwaves, Why Even Try finds producer Ariel Rechtshaid serving up a reverb-drenched electro-funk backdrop as London spits about a relationship that’s been getting him down, lacing his bars with all the eccentrically expressive imagery fans have come to expect: “That’s us, but that’s wrong, we’re scarecrows on the back lawn…” Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara fame assists on the guest tip, lending her distinctive vocals to one of the most colossal choruses I’ve heard in a minute, and DJ/beatsmith Diplo tops it all off with some fresh cuts. Sounds like a hit to me – but, as always, I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on Lover’s Holiday, due out Feb. 8.
Written by richard on 01/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.