While I never doubted Theophilus London was destined for big things, I have to admit that I wasn’t able to imagine what a smash-hit single by the boundary-pushing Brooklynite might sound like… until now. After hearing the latest selection off his major-label debut, I’m exponentially more confident in his ability to conquer the mainstream without losing his creative edge. A dreamy cut with a sound ripped straight from the ‘80s airwaves, Why Even Try finds producer Ariel Rechtshaid serving up a reverb-drenched electro-funk backdrop as London spits about a relationship that’s been getting him down, lacing his bars with all the eccentrically expressive imagery fans have come to expect: “That’s us, but that’s wrong, we’re scarecrows on the back lawn…” Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara fame assists on the guest tip, lending her distinctive vocals to one of the most colossal choruses I’ve heard in a minute, and DJ/beatsmith Diplo tops it all off with some fresh cuts. Sounds like a hit to me – but, as always, I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on Lover’s Holiday, due out Feb. 8.
Written by richard on 01/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.