While I never doubted Theophilus London was destined for big things, I have to admit that I wasn’t able to imagine what a smash-hit single by the boundary-pushing Brooklynite might sound like… until now. After hearing the latest selection off his major-label debut, I’m exponentially more confident in his ability to conquer the mainstream without losing his creative edge. A dreamy cut with a sound ripped straight from the ‘80s airwaves, Why Even Try finds producer Ariel Rechtshaid serving up a reverb-drenched electro-funk backdrop as London spits about a relationship that’s been getting him down, lacing his bars with all the eccentrically expressive imagery fans have come to expect: “That’s us, but that’s wrong, we’re scarecrows on the back lawn…” Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara fame assists on the guest tip, lending her distinctive vocals to one of the most colossal choruses I’ve heard in a minute, and DJ/beatsmith Diplo tops it all off with some fresh cuts. Sounds like a hit to me – but, as always, I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on Lover’s Holiday, due out Feb. 8.
Written by richard on 01/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.