While I never doubted Theophilus London was destined for big things, I have to admit that I wasn’t able to imagine what a smash-hit single by the boundary-pushing Brooklynite might sound like… until now. After hearing the latest selection off his major-label debut, I’m exponentially more confident in his ability to conquer the mainstream without losing his creative edge. A dreamy cut with a sound ripped straight from the ‘80s airwaves, Why Even Try finds producer Ariel Rechtshaid serving up a reverb-drenched electro-funk backdrop as London spits about a relationship that’s been getting him down, lacing his bars with all the eccentrically expressive imagery fans have come to expect: “That’s us, but that’s wrong, we’re scarecrows on the back lawn…” Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara fame assists on the guest tip, lending her distinctive vocals to one of the most colossal choruses I’ve heard in a minute, and DJ/beatsmith Diplo tops it all off with some fresh cuts. Sounds like a hit to me – but, as always, I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on Lover’s Holiday, due out Feb. 8.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.