Theophilus London‘s Green Label debut single found the ever-experimental emcee trapped in a Humdrum Town after being dumped by his girl. In retrospect, the solution to his woes could hardly have been more obvious: what better way to shake off the blues than by Flying Overseas? Since Humdrum had an upbeat vibe somewhat incongruous with its gloomy subject matter, it’s only appropriate that beatsmith Devonte Hynes (who also provides support on the vocal tip) backs the artist’s jet-setting follow-up with something far moodier, coasting on a spare bass-percussion groove during the emcee’s sensual verses before pulling out the stops for a dreamy, synth-soaked chorus. On the hook, London enlists the services of Beyoncé‘s more eclectically-minded sister; Solange‘s unblemished tones are the perfect complement to Theo’s deadpan brand of soul, and it all adds up to one very smooth ride. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but if you find yourself fiending for more, you can always check out the artist’s I Want You mixtape, available for free streaming and download right here in the Booth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"High Five ft. Theophilus London" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.