When Thee Tom Hardy first entered the rap game, many laughed at his unconventional appearance and left-of-center mic style. The rest of us laughed with him because, on the real, the man’s hilarious. On newly-leaked mixtape inclusion Show Me Your Hands, however, the Durham repper (and freestyle alum) sets aside the double-take inducing punchlines and contorted rhyme schemes and gets serious with listeners. In hard-hitting verses, Hardy offers a little insight into his grind, explaining to enquiring minds how he can be rap’s Next Big Thing while still working minimum wage to survive: “First of all, it’s hard to be a starving artist when everybody’s an artist and nobody is charging. / And nobody is payin’ and nobody is playin’ the records that sound great—same 12 songs every station.” Jaisu matches his understated intensity on the production tip, layering swirling synth arpeggios and submerged vocal samples over a slow-rolling rhythm section. Despite the artist’s frustrations with the game, this jam leaves no doubt as to his drive to succeed. If you’d like to accompany him on his journey to the top, keep it locked; Hardy’s Guerilla Broadcast tape has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest tunes and release details.
Written by richard on 05/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Rap Gr8" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.