SoCal foursome theBREAX are clearly a group with a boldly different take on hip-hop, but it’s to their credit that, on Booth debut For What, their uncompromising lyrical message is unlikely to be the the first thing listeners notice—in fact, members Ruslan, Beleaf, Mic B, and Name Brand have crafted a cut so catchy that, by the time you realize that they’re rapping from a born-again Christian perspective, you’ll already be hooked. Nathan Soultrain (who you may recognize as the bassist of legendary reggae group Elijah Emmanuel and the Revelations) serves up a brassy instrumental with plenty of old-school appeal as the foursome flex their formidable flows for the Lord, stolidly resisting the temptations of liquor, fashion and groupies. If you find the group’s take on the genre a refreshing change of pace, you’re in luck; theBREAX’ latest album, Restocked and the accompanying Broken Television DVD are available now.
Written by richard on 03/19/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.