SoCal foursome theBREAX are clearly a group with a boldly different take on hip-hop, but it’s to their credit that, on Booth debut For What, their uncompromising lyrical message is unlikely to be the the first thing listeners notice—in fact, members Ruslan, Beleaf, Mic B, and Name Brand have crafted a cut so catchy that, by the time you realize that they’re rapping from a born-again Christian perspective, you’ll already be hooked. Nathan Soultrain (who you may recognize as the bassist of legendary reggae group Elijah Emmanuel and the Revelations) serves up a brassy instrumental with plenty of old-school appeal as the foursome flex their formidable flows for the Lord, stolidly resisting the temptations of liquor, fashion and groupies. If you find the group’s take on the genre a refreshing change of pace, you’re in luck; theBREAX’ latest album, Restocked and the accompanying Broken Television DVD are available now.
Listen to More: theBREAX
Written by richard on 03/19/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.