SoCal foursome theBREAX are clearly a group with a boldly different take on hip-hop, but it’s to their credit that, on Booth debut For What, their uncompromising lyrical message is unlikely to be the the first thing listeners notice—in fact, members Ruslan, Beleaf, Mic B, and Name Brand have crafted a cut so catchy that, by the time you realize that they’re rapping from a born-again Christian perspective, you’ll already be hooked. Nathan Soultrain (who you may recognize as the bassist of legendary reggae group Elijah Emmanuel and the Revelations) serves up a brassy instrumental with plenty of old-school appeal as the foursome flex their formidable flows for the Lord, stolidly resisting the temptations of liquor, fashion and groupies. If you find the group’s take on the genre a refreshing change of pace, you’re in luck; theBREAX’ latest album, Restocked and the accompanying Broken Television DVD are available now.
Listen to More: theBREAX
Written by richard on 03/19/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.