In April, BLKHRTS made their grand entrance into the Booth with A Song For…, a single which found the underground crew putting a creative hip-hop spin on Lana Del Rey‘s Video Games. Call it coincidence or call it synchronicity, but today we find a NYC duo with similar taste in orthography introducing themselves with their own trippy reimagining of the hit 2011 single. Despite the similarity in concept, THEBLKHANDS’ Downtown is fresh and surprising in execution, with producer ILLA wreathing the aforementioned sample in dreamlike studio effects as Cazzie Jetson and Dominic Serendip deliver alternately boastful and reflective bars. Fresh off releasing digital album Theo vs. J.J. (Dreams vs. Reality) for streaming and digital purchase in the Booth, Skyzoo grabs the mic to contribute guest rhymes to the cut. Details on the group’s forthcoming album have yet to be announced, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep their browsers locked for more info, as well as all the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 08/31/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.