In April, BLKHRTS made their grand entrance into the Booth with A Song For…, a single which found the underground crew putting a creative hip-hop spin on Lana Del Rey‘s Video Games. Call it coincidence or call it synchronicity, but today we find a NYC duo with similar taste in orthography introducing themselves with their own trippy reimagining of the hit 2011 single. Despite the similarity in concept, THEBLKHANDS’ Downtown is fresh and surprising in execution, with producer ILLA wreathing the aforementioned sample in dreamlike studio effects as Cazzie Jetson and Dominic Serendip deliver alternately boastful and reflective bars. Fresh off releasing digital album Theo vs. J.J. (Dreams vs. Reality) for streaming and digital purchase in the Booth, Skyzoo grabs the mic to contribute guest rhymes to the cut. Details on the group’s forthcoming album have yet to be announced, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep their browsers locked for more info, as well as all the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 08/31/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.