“Mandingo” originally referred to an ethnic group in Sierra Leone, but recently, thanks to Tarantino’s film Django Unchained, the term has become associated with the (historically doubtful, according to experts) practice of “Mandingo fighting,” in which slaves fought to the death for their masters’ entertainment. With that context in mind, it’s unsurprising that Mandingo Rally, the new single from MURS-fronted trio The White Mandingos, contains some bracing and provocative opinions on contemporary race relations. Over crewmates Darryl Jenifer and Sacha Jenkins SHR‘s fiery production, sampled from Bad Brains’ classic Rally Round Jah Throne, the underground vet rails against the forces of systemic racism before turning his attention to perceived failings within the black community (“We doin’ it to ourselves, without the white man’s help / How the f**k you raise a son inside of a cell?”). A surefire conversation starter, this cut will be included on a limited edition black-and-white 7”, dropping tomorrow in honor of Record Store Day 2013.
Written by richard on 04/19/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.