“Mandingo” originally referred to an ethnic group in Sierra Leone, but recently, thanks to Tarantino’s film Django Unchained, the term has become associated with the (historically doubtful, according to experts) practice of “Mandingo fighting,” in which slaves fought to the death for their masters’ entertainment. With that context in mind, it’s unsurprising that Mandingo Rally, the new single from MURS-fronted trio The White Mandingos, contains some bracing and provocative opinions on contemporary race relations. Over crewmates Darryl Jenifer and Sacha Jenkins SHR‘s fiery production, sampled from Bad Brains’ classic Rally Round Jah Throne, the underground vet rails against the forces of systemic racism before turning his attention to perceived failings within the black community (“We doin’ it to ourselves, without the white man’s help / How the f**k you raise a son inside of a cell?”). A surefire conversation starter, this cut will be included on a limited edition black-and-white 7”, dropping tomorrow in honor of Record Store Day 2013.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.