“Mandingo” originally referred to an ethnic group in Sierra Leone, but recently, thanks to Tarantino’s film Django Unchained, the term has become associated with the (historically doubtful, according to experts) practice of “Mandingo fighting,” in which slaves fought to the death for their masters’ entertainment. With that context in mind, it’s unsurprising that Mandingo Rally, the new single from MURS-fronted trio The White Mandingos, contains some bracing and provocative opinions on contemporary race relations. Over crewmates Darryl Jenifer and Sacha Jenkins SHR‘s fiery production, sampled from Bad Brains’ classic Rally Round Jah Throne, the underground vet rails against the forces of systemic racism before turning his attention to perceived failings within the black community (“We doin’ it to ourselves, without the white man’s help / How the f**k you raise a son inside of a cell?”). A surefire conversation starter, this cut will be included on a limited edition black-and-white 7”, dropping tomorrow in honor of Record Store Day 2013.
Written by richard on 04/19/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)