“Mandingo” originally referred to an ethnic group in Sierra Leone, but recently, thanks to Tarantino’s film Django Unchained, the term has become associated with the (historically doubtful, according to experts) practice of “Mandingo fighting,” in which slaves fought to the death for their masters’ entertainment. With that context in mind, it’s unsurprising that Mandingo Rally, the new single from MURS-fronted trio The White Mandingos, contains some bracing and provocative opinions on contemporary race relations. Over crewmates Darryl Jenifer and Sacha Jenkins SHR‘s fiery production, sampled from Bad Brains’ classic Rally Round Jah Throne, the underground vet rails against the forces of systemic racism before turning his attention to perceived failings within the black community (“We doin’ it to ourselves, without the white man’s help / How the f**k you raise a son inside of a cell?”). A surefire conversation starter, this cut will be included on a limited edition black-and-white 7”, dropping tomorrow in honor of Record Store Day 2013.
Written by richard on 04/19/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.