Mildly eerie production, lyrics steeped in expensive liquor and lust… Beyoncé‘s latest single bears a number of striking similarities to the work of one Abel Tesfaye. Thus, it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that The Weeknd‘s tried his hand at remixing Drunk in Love. Released yesterday in celebration of the artist’s 24th birthday, the T-Dot repper’s unofficial rendition of the cut places considerably more stress on “drunk” than “love;” over frequent collaborator Doc Mckinney‘s tweaked take on Timbaland‘s original beat, the artist offers readers a window into his sexual fantasies. On verse two, he croons, “Wanna f**k a skinny model right before her runway show / She the one in the back, nose runnin’ from the blow.” How does this debauched rendition stack up against its prototype? That, my friends, is for you to decide. Tesfaye’s plans for 2014 remain up in the air, but we’ll keep you posted as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Morning" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.