Mildly eerie production, lyrics steeped in expensive liquor and lust… Beyoncé‘s latest single bears a number of striking similarities to the work of one Abel Tesfaye. Thus, it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that The Weeknd‘s tried his hand at remixing Drunk in Love. Released yesterday in celebration of the artist’s 24th birthday, the T-Dot repper’s unofficial rendition of the cut places considerably more stress on “drunk” than “love;” over frequent collaborator Doc Mckinney‘s tweaked take on Timbaland‘s original beat, the artist offers readers a window into his sexual fantasies. On verse two, he croons, “Wanna f**k a skinny model right before her runway show / She the one in the back, nose runnin’ from the blow.” How does this debauched rendition stack up against its prototype? That, my friends, is for you to decide. Tesfaye’s plans for 2014 remain up in the air, but we’ll keep you posted as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/17/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Morning" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.