Should music be under the control of the rights-holder, or does it Belong to the World? The Weeknd seems to be of the latter school of thought; the use of Portishead’s Machine Gun on his new single, allegedly after the band had denied permission, earned the singer some nasty Tweets from member Geoff Barrow yesterday. (Lest you assume the fracas revolved around remuneration, Barrow made clear that it was strictly personal: “We usually give sample clearance to tunes we like. its got f*k all to do with money!”) Regardless of your opinion on copyright law, the record itself is a compelling listen. Over his, theDannyBoyStyles and Jason “DaHeala” Quenneville‘s moody sample work, the T-Dot crooner serenades a woman whose icy demeanor he finds paradoxically alluring. Anthony Mandler directs the epic official video, set in a politically-unstable future Japan. A solid release date has yet to be announced for Kiss Land but, as always, we in the Booth will keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 07/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Morning" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.