Should music be under the control of the rights-holder, or does it Belong to the World? The Weeknd seems to be of the latter school of thought; the use of Portishead’s Machine Gun on his new single, allegedly after the band had denied permission, earned the singer some nasty Tweets from member Geoff Barrow yesterday. (Lest you assume the fracas revolved around remuneration, Barrow made clear that it was strictly personal: “We usually give sample clearance to tunes we like. its got f*k all to do with money!”) Regardless of your opinion on copyright law, the record itself is a compelling listen. Over his, theDannyBoyStyles and Jason “DaHeala” Quenneville‘s moody sample work, the T-Dot crooner serenades a woman whose icy demeanor he finds paradoxically alluring. Anthony Mandler directs the epic official video, set in a politically-unstable future Japan. A solid release date has yet to be announced for Kiss Land but, as always, we in the Booth will keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 07/16/13
In an age when the Internet is the dominant source for new music, it's almost near impossible to get the attention of the masses like it was in the pre-WWW era. Now, you have to bring something fresh to the table on a...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Morning" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.