In his seminal Society of the Spectacle, French theorist Guy Debord remarks that “...dissatisfaction [with the capitalist system] itself becomes a commodity as soon as the economics of affluence finds a way of applying its production methods to this particular raw material.” Say what?! Well, take the female described in The Vibrant Sound‘s Booth debut: though she styles herself a “hippie type,” her fashionable (and expensive) brand of nonconformity simply masks the Gold Digger beneath. On their latest single, the Utah-based crew put an overtly political twist on your typical screed against cash-obsessed females; over his backing ensemble’s lush, breezy (and, yes, Vibrant) live-band groove, frontman McKay Stevens showcases his sung and flowed vocal stylings, lamenting the girl in question’s inability to look beyond material things. Not that it ever could have worked out—as he explains: “I’m a proletariat and she was just a bougie” Has this fresh, incisive jam left you craving more from The Vibrant Sound? Keep it locked for the latest on the group’s yet-unscheduled, self-titled LP, as well as a forthcoming single release to benefit UNICEF and TAP’s efforts to bring clean water to the Third World.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gravity (Gotta Fly)" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.