In his seminal Society of the Spectacle, French theorist Guy Debord remarks that “...dissatisfaction [with the capitalist system] itself becomes a commodity as soon as the economics of affluence finds a way of applying its production methods to this particular raw material.” Say what?! Well, take the female described in The Vibrant Sound‘s Booth debut: though she styles herself a “hippie type,” her fashionable (and expensive) brand of nonconformity simply masks the Gold Digger beneath. On their latest single, the Utah-based crew put an overtly political twist on your typical screed against cash-obsessed females; over his backing ensemble’s lush, breezy (and, yes, Vibrant) live-band groove, frontman McKay Stevens showcases his sung and flowed vocal stylings, lamenting the girl in question’s inability to look beyond material things. Not that it ever could have worked out—as he explains: “I’m a proletariat and she was just a bougie” Has this fresh, incisive jam left you craving more from The Vibrant Sound? Keep it locked for the latest on the group’s yet-unscheduled, self-titled LP, as well as a forthcoming single release to benefit UNICEF and TAP’s efforts to bring clean water to the Third World.
Written by richard on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gravity (Gotta Fly)" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.