Pumped-up, exhilarating and—of course—provocative, N*ggas in Paris won tremendous reader acclaim when it hit the Booth on the 13th. Let’s not forget, however, that the same day as that juggernaut of a single dropped, The Throne also released Why I Love You—a moodier jam which just happens to be one of my favorite tracks off the album. Kanye West stays behind the boards for the most part, hooking up with Mike Dean and Anthony Kilhoffer to flip a sample from French house duo Cassius’ I Love You So (itself sampled from Sandra Richardson’s I Feel a Song (In My Heart)) into a fittingly caustic synth backdrop for Jigga‘s chronicle of calumny and betrayal. In verses packed with impressionistic imagery, Hov’ shakes his head at former homies who took advantage of his benevolence: “I tried to teach n*ggas how to be kings, and all they wanted to be was soldiers.” UK pop heavyweight Mr. Hudson rounds out the lineup, overlaying his vocals in place of Richardson’s original hook. Will this joint become a smash when it hits mainstream radio Oct. 4? Debate away—and, if you’re one of the two or three individuals who have yet to cop, Watch the Throne, head to your local record store to learn what all the fuss is about.
Written by richard on 09/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.