In his highly laudatory review of The Throne‘s (aka Kanye West & Jay-Z‘s) collaborative debut, our own Nathan S. pegged track two, Lift Off, as “Ready for Radio.” Two weeks later, what do you know, that’s exactly where it’s headed! Granted, the record pretty much had “hit single” written all over it. On the official second selection off the LP (H.A.M. apparently no longer exists), Kanye reunites with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy production partners Jeff Bhasker and Mike Dean behind the boards, crafting a glossy, lushly-arranged synth beat that screams “stadium-ready” despite being in 6/8 time (seasoned with a few of those ubiquitous Funky President “Hey!“s). While the rapped elements of this joint are fairly minimal, Jay gets a brief opportunity to show off his skill at spitting over unconventional time signatures (see also My First Song) on the back, reminding us of the album’s title and describing what may be the first recorded case of astronomically-induced erectile dysfunction (”Earth is boring to ‘em, sh*t is making my d*ck soft.”). The real star of the show, of course, is hookwoman Beyoncé, whose muscular chorus doesn’t fail to make a mark. So, is this joint destined to skyrocket to the top of the charts? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, be sure pick up a copy of Watch the Throne, available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
We live in a world addicted to a dangerous combination of amnesia and exaggeration. Everything is the biggest ever, the greatest of all-time, the event after which nothing else will ever be the same. That kind of hyperbole is...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.