In his highly laudatory review of The Throne‘s (aka Kanye West & Jay-Z‘s) collaborative debut, our own Nathan S. pegged track two, Lift Off, as “Ready for Radio.” Two weeks later, what do you know, that’s exactly where it’s headed! Granted, the record pretty much had “hit single” written all over it. On the official second selection off the LP (H.A.M. apparently no longer exists), Kanye reunites with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy production partners Jeff Bhasker and Mike Dean behind the boards, crafting a glossy, lushly-arranged synth beat that screams “stadium-ready” despite being in 6/8 time (seasoned with a few of those ubiquitous Funky President “Hey!“s). While the rapped elements of this joint are fairly minimal, Jay gets a brief opportunity to show off his skill at spitting over unconventional time signatures (see also My First Song) on the back, reminding us of the album’s title and describing what may be the first recorded case of astronomically-induced erectile dysfunction (”Earth is boring to ‘em, sh*t is making my d*ck soft.”). The real star of the show, of course, is hookwoman Beyoncé, whose muscular chorus doesn’t fail to make a mark. So, is this joint destined to skyrocket to the top of the charts? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, be sure pick up a copy of Watch the Throne, available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.