“What you need, what-what you need, I got what you need.”—assuming that “what you need” is a new record from The Throne. Today, Jay-Z and Kanye West return to our pages with yet another soon-to-be-hit single off their Grammy-nominated collaborative debut—the sixth in total. Gotta Have It finds Pharrell Williams playing samples from three of soul godfather James Brown’s classics (Don’t Tell a Lie About Me and I Won’t Tell the Truth About You, People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul and My Thang) against a snippet from the soundtrack to ‘98 action movie The Replacement Killers as the rap heavyweights show off their effortlessly fly chemistry. Among many memorable moments, the record sees Hov drop his poker face to deliver some of the most hilarious (yet intimidating) wordplay on the album: “What’s up motherf*cker where my money at? / You gon’ make me come down to your house where your mummy at / Mummy-wrap the kids, have ‘em cryin’ for they mummy back.” Gotta Have It is scheduled to impact radio tomorrow, January 31, and (for the two or three of y’all who still haven’t copped the set) Watch the Throne is available now wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.