“What you need, what-what you need, I got what you need.”—assuming that “what you need” is a new record from The Throne. Today, Jay-Z and Kanye West return to our pages with yet another soon-to-be-hit single off their Grammy-nominated collaborative debut—the sixth in total. Gotta Have It finds Pharrell Williams playing samples from three of soul godfather James Brown’s classics (Don’t Tell a Lie About Me and I Won’t Tell the Truth About You, People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul and My Thang) against a snippet from the soundtrack to ‘98 action movie The Replacement Killers as the rap heavyweights show off their effortlessly fly chemistry. Among many memorable moments, the record sees Hov drop his poker face to deliver some of the most hilarious (yet intimidating) wordplay on the album: “What’s up motherf*cker where my money at? / You gon’ make me come down to your house where your mummy at / Mummy-wrap the kids, have ‘em cryin’ for they mummy back.” Gotta Have It is scheduled to impact radio tomorrow, January 31, and (for the two or three of y’all who still haven’t copped the set) Watch the Throne is available now wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.