“What you need, what-what you need, I got what you need.”—assuming that “what you need” is a new record from The Throne. Today, Jay-Z and Kanye West return to our pages with yet another soon-to-be-hit single off their Grammy-nominated collaborative debut—the sixth in total. Gotta Have It finds Pharrell Williams playing samples from three of soul godfather James Brown’s classics (Don’t Tell a Lie About Me and I Won’t Tell the Truth About You, People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul and My Thang) against a snippet from the soundtrack to ‘98 action movie The Replacement Killers as the rap heavyweights show off their effortlessly fly chemistry. Among many memorable moments, the record sees Hov drop his poker face to deliver some of the most hilarious (yet intimidating) wordplay on the album: “What’s up motherf*cker where my money at? / You gon’ make me come down to your house where your mummy at / Mummy-wrap the kids, have ‘em cryin’ for they mummy back.” Gotta Have It is scheduled to impact radio tomorrow, January 31, and (for the two or three of y’all who still haven’t copped the set) Watch the Throne is available now wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.