It’s been said many times before, but today it’s as true as it’s ever been: if you’re not mad about what’s been going on in Washington (and the harm said political machinations will undoubtedly cause in your neighborhood), then you haven’t been paying attention. Luckily for those who fall into that category, The Swapmeet Ensemble have stepped into the Booth with a little something to help you GET MAD! Making its world premiere on our frontpage, this mixtape inclusion finds Oakland natives Silence DemALL and Poach Stevers doing their best Howard Beale impressions, in hopes of arousing the passions of disenfranchised ‘hood-dwellers across the nation. Over DJ Shug‘s brass-infused beat (featuring a bassline borrowed from Hendrix classic Hey Joe—anyone know whose rendition?), the crew rail against the devastation caused by police corruption, gentrification and general disregard for the urban poor. Capped off with a fiery guest 16 from reader fave (and freestyle alum) Mean Doe Green, this is but one of a diverse array of eclectic jams on The Swapmeet Ensemble’s Booth-sponsored One Man’s Trash… LP, scheduled to hit our mixtape page October 10.
Written by richard on 08/8/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Modern Warfare" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.