It’s been said many times before, but today it’s as true as it’s ever been: if you’re not mad about what’s been going on in Washington (and the harm said political machinations will undoubtedly cause in your neighborhood), then you haven’t been paying attention. Luckily for those who fall into that category, The Swapmeet Ensemble have stepped into the Booth with a little something to help you GET MAD! Making its world premiere on our frontpage, this mixtape inclusion finds Oakland natives Silence DemALL and Poach Stevers doing their best Howard Beale impressions, in hopes of arousing the passions of disenfranchised ‘hood-dwellers across the nation. Over DJ Shug‘s brass-infused beat (featuring a bassline borrowed from Hendrix classic Hey Joe—anyone know whose rendition?), the crew rail against the devastation caused by police corruption, gentrification and general disregard for the urban poor. Capped off with a fiery guest 16 from reader fave (and freestyle alum) Mean Doe Green, this is but one of a diverse array of eclectic jams on The Swapmeet Ensemble’s Booth-sponsored One Man’s Trash… LP, scheduled to hit our mixtape page October 10.
Written by richard on 08/8/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Modern Warfare" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.