In 2010 drama Stone, a murderer played by Edward Norton claims to have experienced a spiritual epiphany through sound, comparing his experience to being brought into harmony by “God’s Tuning Fork.” If that were possible, could hip-hop be used as a tool to bring heads to a higher level of consciousness? Never say never—-in any case, that’s exactly what The Sleepwalkers seem to be attempting with their first Booth feature. Leak numero uno off their forthcoming full-length, this moody banger finds the Los Angeles beat crew cooking up an atmospheric, headphone-ready blend of live and electronic instrumentation as emcee Sunni Còlon drops poetic bars dense with Biblical allusions: “N*ggas still climbin’ up the Tower of Babel / Still walkin’ through Zion, middle finger to the tyrant… Victory, David and Goliath / Sharper than a sword that cut the head of the giant.” Singer Noah King rounds out the lineup, lending his plaintive vocals to the record’s outro. So, have The Sleepwalkers succeeded in elevating your mindstate with this one? Then don’t miss the rest of the spiritually illuminating material set for inclusion on the crew’s Edward Norton LP, due out Dec. 20, via 2DopeBoyz.
Written by richard on 11/29/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.