Playing racquetball at your local YMCA may be a great way to squeeze a workout into your busy schedule, but the sport doesn’t seem like particularly inspiring subject matter for a rap song. Experimental hip hop duo The Silverust, however, have found the conveniently-rhyming simile that allows them to connect the game to the always-popular topic of getting high. On their new buzz single, the duo indulge in a strain of smokable so potent that it has them bouncing “off the wall like, “ you guessed it: “Racquetball.” This record isn’t your typical smokers’ anthem, thanks in large part to Kid Icarus‘s creative beat, which begins with a subtle, bass-driven groove, but veers off into acoustic guitar territory on the chorus before adding a jazzy vibraphone accompaniment on the cut’s back end. Emcee Nickelus F. begins the record in stoned wonderment, but switches up his flow to follow Icarus’s every production curveball, and the result is a uniquely catchy record with plenty of appeal for heads on the hipster side of the spectrum.
Written by richard on 01/8/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.