Playing racquetball at your local YMCA may be a great way to squeeze a workout into your busy schedule, but the sport doesn’t seem like particularly inspiring subject matter for a rap song. Experimental hip hop duo The Silverust, however, have found the conveniently-rhyming simile that allows them to connect the game to the always-popular topic of getting high. On their new buzz single, the duo indulge in a strain of smokable so potent that it has them bouncing “off the wall like, “ you guessed it: “Racquetball.” This record isn’t your typical smokers’ anthem, thanks in large part to Kid Icarus‘s creative beat, which begins with a subtle, bass-driven groove, but veers off into acoustic guitar territory on the chorus before adding a jazzy vibraphone accompaniment on the cut’s back end. Emcee Nickelus F. begins the record in stoned wonderment, but switches up his flow to follow Icarus’s every production curveball, and the result is a uniquely catchy record with plenty of appeal for heads on the hipster side of the spectrum.
Written by richard on 01/8/09
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.