Playing racquetball at your local YMCA may be a great way to squeeze a workout into your busy schedule, but the sport doesn’t seem like particularly inspiring subject matter for a rap song. Experimental hip hop duo The Silverust, however, have found the conveniently-rhyming simile that allows them to connect the game to the always-popular topic of getting high. On their new buzz single, the duo indulge in a strain of smokable so potent that it has them bouncing “off the wall like, “ you guessed it: “Racquetball.” This record isn’t your typical smokers’ anthem, thanks in large part to Kid Icarus‘s creative beat, which begins with a subtle, bass-driven groove, but veers off into acoustic guitar territory on the chorus before adding a jazzy vibraphone accompaniment on the cut’s back end. Emcee Nickelus F. begins the record in stoned wonderment, but switches up his flow to follow Icarus’s every production curveball, and the result is a uniquely catchy record with plenty of appeal for heads on the hipster side of the spectrum.
Written by richard on 01/8/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.