If you’re a fan of audacious criminal capers, take heed: on their latest single, The Seed pull off the crime of the century. OK, not really – as far as I know, hot beats and rhymes are still legal in the Golden State – but regardless, The Heist (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is about as close as you’re gonna get to Oceans 11 in hip-hop form. As usual, Adikt1 does his thing behind the boards, flipping a bluesy, bass-driven sample which DJ Packo proceeds to lace with old-school scratches. Lyrically, Uptown Swuite and Kahlee play it equally cool, dropping aggressive verses laced with fashionably fragmented imagery: “I put a hit on the beat, Mafia-style, with a concrete block on your feet, cock it and blauw!” While I have to admit I have no idea what The Seed were stealing, how they did it, who got double-crossed and who made it out alive, it hardly matters – heist movies were always about the style, and this one has it in spades. If you agree with my assessment, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on the group’s self-titled DJBooth-sponsored street album, scheduled to drop May 3.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wonder Years" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.