If you’re a fan of audacious criminal capers, take heed: on their latest single, The Seed pull off the crime of the century. OK, not really – as far as I know, hot beats and rhymes are still legal in the Golden State – but regardless, The Heist (making its world premiere right here in the Booth!) is about as close as you’re gonna get to Oceans 11 in hip-hop form. As usual, Adikt1 does his thing behind the boards, flipping a bluesy, bass-driven sample which DJ Packo proceeds to lace with old-school scratches. Lyrically, Uptown Swuite and Kahlee play it equally cool, dropping aggressive verses laced with fashionably fragmented imagery: “I put a hit on the beat, Mafia-style, with a concrete block on your feet, cock it and blauw!” While I have to admit I have no idea what The Seed were stealing, how they did it, who got double-crossed and who made it out alive, it hardly matters – heist movies were always about the style, and this one has it in spades. If you agree with my assessment, you’ll find plenty more where this came from on the group’s self-titled DJBooth-sponsored street album, scheduled to drop May 3.
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wonder Years" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.