Typically, when underground rappers spit about punching and kicking their way through the competition, the martial-arts imagery is just a metaphor for their high-impact approach on the mic. Not so in the case of The Seed‘s latest effort. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, Machine was recorded as a tribute to celebrated MMA fighter Jesse Juarez, a close friend of the trio. Adikt 1 provides an appropriately high-impact instrumental backdrop, layering an intense organ/guitar/vocal sample over gritty percussion as crewmates Uptown Swuite and Kahlee slug it out on the mic, dropping expressionistic, free-associated verses peppered with an eclectic array of bone-crunching allusions: “The Argonaut, in the arena of thunder, slumber and lightning / Hulkamaniac strength in the coliseum is frightening.” It all adds up to an adrenaline-pumping cut that’ll have even the most pacifistic listeners seeing red… in fact, once I wrap this track review up, I think I’ma go outside and punch the first person I see. Just kidding, of course – or am I? In any case, those who like what they’re hearing can find Machine and much more on The Seed’s Booth-sponsored, self-titled LP, due out May 3.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wonder Years" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.