Typically, when underground rappers spit about punching and kicking their way through the competition, the martial-arts imagery is just a metaphor for their high-impact approach on the mic. Not so in the case of The Seed‘s latest effort. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, Machine was recorded as a tribute to celebrated MMA fighter Jesse Juarez, a close friend of the trio. Adikt 1 provides an appropriately high-impact instrumental backdrop, layering an intense organ/guitar/vocal sample over gritty percussion as crewmates Uptown Swuite and Kahlee slug it out on the mic, dropping expressionistic, free-associated verses peppered with an eclectic array of bone-crunching allusions: “The Argonaut, in the arena of thunder, slumber and lightning / Hulkamaniac strength in the coliseum is frightening.” It all adds up to an adrenaline-pumping cut that’ll have even the most pacifistic listeners seeing red… in fact, once I wrap this track review up, I think I’ma go outside and punch the first person I see. Just kidding, of course – or am I? In any case, those who like what they’re hearing can find Machine and much more on The Seed’s Booth-sponsored, self-titled LP, due out May 3.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wonder Years" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.