Typically, when underground rappers spit about punching and kicking their way through the competition, the martial-arts imagery is just a metaphor for their high-impact approach on the mic. Not so in the case of The Seed‘s latest effort. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, Machine was recorded as a tribute to celebrated MMA fighter Jesse Juarez, a close friend of the trio. Adikt 1 provides an appropriately high-impact instrumental backdrop, layering an intense organ/guitar/vocal sample over gritty percussion as crewmates Uptown Swuite and Kahlee slug it out on the mic, dropping expressionistic, free-associated verses peppered with an eclectic array of bone-crunching allusions: “The Argonaut, in the arena of thunder, slumber and lightning / Hulkamaniac strength in the coliseum is frightening.” It all adds up to an adrenaline-pumping cut that’ll have even the most pacifistic listeners seeing red… in fact, once I wrap this track review up, I think I’ma go outside and punch the first person I see. Just kidding, of course – or am I? In any case, those who like what they’re hearing can find Machine and much more on The Seed’s Booth-sponsored, self-titled LP, due out May 3.
Written by richard on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
Tre Dime Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wonder Years" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.