Can I belatedly put “Hear a Roots and Big K.R.I.T. collaboration” on my bucket list just so I can cross it off? Frankly the thought of the legendary Philly crew and the Meridian, Miss. representer working together didn’t cross my mind until today, but once I heard their new single Make My I knew it was the moment I’ve been waiting for…even if I didn’t know I was waiting for it. Does that make any sense? Maybe we should just get into the music before I confuse you further. Producer Khari Mateen puts together a beat that can hardly be described as a beat – a sonic landscape painted by the live instruments of The Roots players is more like it. It’s a backdrop that Krizza and frontman Black Thought, along with a bluesy hook from an unidentified singer, use to reveal the darker side of the materialism that drives so much of our lives: “Lord forgive us for riding Benz’ with camera plates / too busy lookin backwards for jackers to pump my brakes.” While KRIT’s work on Make My is the album’s only feature, The Roots have never had a problem rolling solo – their upcoming album undun drops December 6.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.