Can I belatedly put “Hear a Roots and Big K.R.I.T. collaboration” on my bucket list just so I can cross it off? Frankly the thought of the legendary Philly crew and the Meridian, Miss. representer working together didn’t cross my mind until today, but once I heard their new single Make My I knew it was the moment I’ve been waiting for…even if I didn’t know I was waiting for it. Does that make any sense? Maybe we should just get into the music before I confuse you further. Producer Khari Mateen puts together a beat that can hardly be described as a beat – a sonic landscape painted by the live instruments of The Roots players is more like it. It’s a backdrop that Krizza and frontman Black Thought, along with a bluesy hook from an unidentified singer, use to reveal the darker side of the materialism that drives so much of our lives: “Lord forgive us for riding Benz’ with camera plates / too busy lookin backwards for jackers to pump my brakes.” While KRIT’s work on Make My is the album’s only feature, The Roots have never had a problem rolling solo – their upcoming album undun drops December 6.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)