Can I belatedly put “Hear a Roots and Big K.R.I.T. collaboration” on my bucket list just so I can cross it off? Frankly the thought of the legendary Philly crew and the Meridian, Miss. representer working together didn’t cross my mind until today, but once I heard their new single Make My I knew it was the moment I’ve been waiting for…even if I didn’t know I was waiting for it. Does that make any sense? Maybe we should just get into the music before I confuse you further. Producer Khari Mateen puts together a beat that can hardly be described as a beat – a sonic landscape painted by the live instruments of The Roots players is more like it. It’s a backdrop that Krizza and frontman Black Thought, along with a bluesy hook from an unidentified singer, use to reveal the darker side of the materialism that drives so much of our lives: “Lord forgive us for riding Benz’ with camera plates / too busy lookin backwards for jackers to pump my brakes.” While KRIT’s work on Make My is the album’s only feature, The Roots have never had a problem rolling solo – their upcoming album undun drops December 6.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.