Whatever your opinion is on Jimmy Fallon’s run as host of The Late Show, there’s no question that the program boasts the best house band in late-night television—and if you, like me, haven’t tuned in since the (painfully awkward, in my opinion) premiere episode, you likely missed out on the recent debut of How I Got Over, the official lead single/title track off The Roots’ forthcoming ninth studio album. Though the record/album title takes inspiration from the classic, Clara Ward-penned gospel hymn of the same name (and its famous Mahalia Jackson cover), the track’s sound owes more to a different musical great—the cut’s official LP version lacks the horn-driven bombast of the James Brown-style rendition performed on The Late Show two weeks ago, but the Godfather of Soul’s influence still shines through in ?uestlove‘s percussion-heavy instrumental, as well as the sung verses that sandwich Black Thought‘s rapped middle bars. Topped off with one of the most hummable hooks I’ve heard in a while, this energizing yet thought-provoking jam is sure to get fans hyped for the September 29th release of the Roots’ latest full-length.
Written by richard on 07/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.