Whatever your opinion is on Jimmy Fallon’s run as host of The Late Show, there’s no question that the program boasts the best house band in late-night television—and if you, like me, haven’t tuned in since the (painfully awkward, in my opinion) premiere episode, you likely missed out on the recent debut of How I Got Over, the official lead single/title track off The Roots’ forthcoming ninth studio album. Though the record/album title takes inspiration from the classic, Clara Ward-penned gospel hymn of the same name (and its famous Mahalia Jackson cover), the track’s sound owes more to a different musical great—the cut’s official LP version lacks the horn-driven bombast of the James Brown-style rendition performed on The Late Show two weeks ago, but the Godfather of Soul’s influence still shines through in ?uestlove‘s percussion-heavy instrumental, as well as the sung verses that sandwich Black Thought‘s rapped middle bars. Topped off with one of the most hummable hooks I’ve heard in a while, this energizing yet thought-provoking jam is sure to get fans hyped for the September 29th release of the Roots’ latest full-length.
Listen to More: The Roots
Written by richard on 07/21/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.