Whatever your opinion is on Jimmy Fallon’s run as host of The Late Show, there’s no question that the program boasts the best house band in late-night television—and if you, like me, haven’t tuned in since the (painfully awkward, in my opinion) premiere episode, you likely missed out on the recent debut of How I Got Over, the official lead single/title track off The Roots’ forthcoming ninth studio album. Though the record/album title takes inspiration from the classic, Clara Ward-penned gospel hymn of the same name (and its famous Mahalia Jackson cover), the track’s sound owes more to a different musical great—the cut’s official LP version lacks the horn-driven bombast of the James Brown-style rendition performed on The Late Show two weeks ago, but the Godfather of Soul’s influence still shines through in ?uestlove‘s percussion-heavy instrumental, as well as the sung verses that sandwich Black Thought‘s rapped middle bars. Topped off with one of the most hummable hooks I’ve heard in a while, this energizing yet thought-provoking jam is sure to get fans hyped for the September 29th release of the Roots’ latest full-length.
Written by richard on 07/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"75 Bars (Black’s Reconstruction)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.