Now more than ever, underground rappers are attempting to recapture that Old School Vibe, in hopes that bringing back the classic sound and lyrical focus of hip-hop’s early days will help usher in a new musical renaissance. That pursuit is the subject of Detroit Christian rap crew The Regiment‘s first Booth feature, but new-schoolers shouldn’t let that scare them off—this record has a retro feel, but its sound is certifiably fresh, thanks in large part to Apollo Brown‘s nostalgically catchy guitar-sampling groove. On the lyrical tip, emcees OSI and IseQold deliver a blend of Christian values and musical purism that might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but is sure to strike a chord with Booth readers disenchanted with hip-hop’s current fixation on cash and flash. Whether you’re nodding your head to the message or to the beat, though, you’d do well to pick up a copy of the crew’s latest LP, A New Beginning (out today).
Listen to More: The Regiment
Written by richard on 05/5/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Battle Cry" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.