In Karl Marx’s (in)famous theoretical writings, the father of communism describes how the proletarians (or wage laborers) will use their strength in numbers to seize the means of production from the bourgeoisie and create a new society from the ashes of the old. While the The Pro Letarians’ first feature is light on the political rhetoric, the Indiana duo are clearly determined to live up to their revolutionary moniker in the musical realm; as evidenced by unreleased cut 33 Vergions, Jupiter Jim and JO aren’t about to quit till they’ve taken over the whole damn game. JO keeps it light and airy on the production tip, layering chopped synth riffs over a bouncy kick-handclap beat as his mic-rocking colleague mixes wordplay-driven braggadocio (“Black child with some Lays up on my collarbone / That is, I got a chip up on my shoulder”) with playful (if un-P.C.) references to international affairs. “Girlfriend told me I’m so Obama / Make ‘em run in here and get Gaddafi’d, Osama.” Are these Midwestern hopefuls destined to (in the immortal words of Biggie Smalls) “[blow] up like the World Trade?” Those who answer in the affirmative should stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of The Pro Letarians’ Hello Forever LP this spring.
Written by richard on 01/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.