Back in July, beat crew The Opus hooked up with Chi-town trio The Gent$ to take their hustle International on the lead single off their forthcoming street album. Now that they’ve got the whole damn globe on lock, The Opus have got nowhere to go but up—literally. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, newly-released follow-up Up and Away finds the twosome joining forces with Booth newcomer Pigeon John to conquer the skies. With the Windy City twosome’s frenetically layered percussion samples and ambient loops banging in the back, the Northridge, California rhymesayer showcases mic skills every bit as fly as his stage name would suggest. Not to mention one hell of a pen game—the emcee’s bars come jam-packed with unexpected allusions and rewind-worthy turns of phrase: “Watch the young Duke Ellington make the place gelatin, shake the fake fella, and I, the black Gilligan, will keep freakin’... ” If you give this vertiginous banger high marks, more is on its way—watch for the beat crew’s The Opus of the Opus II street album to land on record store shelves September 6.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.