Back in July, beat crew The Opus hooked up with Chi-town trio The Gent$ to take their hustle International on the lead single off their forthcoming street album. Now that they’ve got the whole damn globe on lock, The Opus have got nowhere to go but up—literally. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, newly-released follow-up Up and Away finds the twosome joining forces with Booth newcomer Pigeon John to conquer the skies. With the Windy City twosome’s frenetically layered percussion samples and ambient loops banging in the back, the Northridge, California rhymesayer showcases mic skills every bit as fly as his stage name would suggest. Not to mention one hell of a pen game—the emcee’s bars come jam-packed with unexpected allusions and rewind-worthy turns of phrase: “Watch the young Duke Ellington make the place gelatin, shake the fake fella, and I, the black Gilligan, will keep freakin’... ” If you give this vertiginous banger high marks, more is on its way—watch for the beat crew’s The Opus of the Opus II street album to land on record store shelves September 6.
Written by richard on 08/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.