Remember when David Blaine sat inside an ice box (literally) for a couple days? Although it wasn’t necessarily magic, it was definitely trill, a vibe Houston quartet The Nice Guys capture on their new single, Magick, off their upcoming James Kelley album…has it been nearly two years since they released The Show? Fans have been waiting anxiously for more official music from The Niceguys, cheer up kiddos, because Magick doesn’t disappoint. Produced by member Christolph, Magick is a grainy and layer-heavy record where the emcee Yves Saint spits braggadocio lines in between a screwed chorus, providing us with an authentic Houston sound. With several wizardry references throughout the record including Criss Angel, the aforementioned David Blaine, and even Houdini, I must say my favorite reference was Gryffindor (Gryffindor house ain’t nothin’ to f*ck with). James Kelley will be released to the masses on September 11, but in the meantime, feel free to press play and get Houdini on them hoes.
Listen to More: The Niceguys
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 07/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Not at All" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.