Fresh off hitting a home run in the Booth with the politically-charged This American Life, The Next shift their focus from the socioeconomic landscape to the hip-hop game on their follow-up single. Put You on the Game finds Taylormade Sounds crafting a shuffling synth-string instrumental to back crewmate (and fellow member of Big Apple collective Dujeous) Mojo the Cinematic as he does just as the title says, filling neophytes in on the what lies beneath rap’s glossy exterior. Once Mojo’s finished airing out his gripes with the rest of the industry (“Let me list my pet peeves: when the honey’s fake, when the money’s late and when emcees wanna test me.”), Cinematic Music signee (and freestyle alum) Smoke DZA grabs the mic to skewer Internet thugs in an irreverent guest verse: “Why don’t you bang the tune since you so angry dude / N*ggas blogging like that’s the gangster thing to do / All the frontin’ in the camera, sh*t is horrible / ‘cause when the camera’s off, n*ggas goin’ back to normal.” Digging it? You’ll be able to purchase your very own copy of PYotG on Tuesday, when the record hits iTunes—or hold off till December, when it drops as part of Dujeous’ From Dusk Till Dawn LP.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This American Life" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)