Fresh off hitting a home run in the Booth with the politically-charged This American Life, The Next shift their focus from the socioeconomic landscape to the hip-hop game on their follow-up single. Put You on the Game finds Taylormade Sounds crafting a shuffling synth-string instrumental to back crewmate (and fellow member of Big Apple collective Dujeous) Mojo the Cinematic as he does just as the title says, filling neophytes in on the what lies beneath rap’s glossy exterior. Once Mojo’s finished airing out his gripes with the rest of the industry (“Let me list my pet peeves: when the honey’s fake, when the money’s late and when emcees wanna test me.”), Cinematic Music signee (and freestyle alum) Smoke DZA grabs the mic to skewer Internet thugs in an irreverent guest verse: “Why don’t you bang the tune since you so angry dude / N*ggas blogging like that’s the gangster thing to do / All the frontin’ in the camera, sh*t is horrible / ‘cause when the camera’s off, n*ggas goin’ back to normal.” Digging it? You’ll be able to purchase your very own copy of PYotG on Tuesday, when the record hits iTunes—or hold off till December, when it drops as part of Dujeous’ From Dusk Till Dawn LP.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This American Life" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)