I’m not sure which is more audacious: dubbing your own work a “Timeless Classic,” or basing it around a Liberace sample. The question is strictly academic, however, since the title track off South African beatsmith The Militia‘s forthcoming, Booth-hosted EP finds him doing both in one fell swoop. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, the record kicks off with a vocal snippet from the flamboyant piano icon (In case you were wondering, the “classic” he’s introducing in the source material is Chopsticks), before settling into a soulfully head-noddable boom-bap groove, which B.K. phenom Skyzoo and Free rhymesayer Rome Clientele proceed to lace with confident, nostalgia-tinged underground rhymes. Complete with a hook drawing from Inl’s Fakin Jax (“You know what the facts is.”), this record is just one of many bangers to be found on Timeless Classics (the EP), set to hit the Booth Tuesday, September 25, for free streaming and download. For more from Skyzoo, check out his A Dream Deferred LP when it hits record stores and online retailers October 2.
Written by richard on 09/20/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Many" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.