With She’s So Up, the lead single off their sophomore set, The Knux abandoned all traditional hip-hop trappings—save for flowed verses—in favor of a driving, guitar-driven rock vibe (one reader referred to it as “biker brawl music”). Well, turns out that record wasn’t a fluke—if single numero dos (premiered Friday on Complex) is any indication, Rah Almillio and Krispy Kream intend to take the “pop-punk, with rapping” concept and Run with it on their new LP. Here, the duo’s own fuzzed-out riffage and driving backbeat set the stage for bars about… you know, I have no f**king idea. But it involves a chick, and a metric ton of pop-culture references: “Major Payne like Damon Wayans (Hootie-Hoo!) / I cut her like Serato ‘cause she’s FruityLoops / Oh Joey, oh Joey, you’re the only one like Obi Kenobi…” Assisting on the guest tip, Kid CuDi takes a break from recording his own ”experimental rock” project with Dot da Genius to lends his deadpan sung-rapped vocals to the middle 16. So, readers, are you digging the Knux’ new, punk-infused style? Then stay tuned—Eraser is set for release on September 27, and before that the guys have a New York City show on July 30.
Written by richard on 07/4/11
Submit your Rating
The Blank Factory
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.